At times pumpkin pie seems to have more crust than filling. This deep dish pumpkin pie is plentiful and creamier than most thanks to the addition of baked sweet potatoes and cream cheese. Whip the filling up in a food processor and pour.
One unbaked deep dish 9 inch pie crust
One 15 ounce can pumpkin
Two small baked sweet potatoes, skins removed
2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup half and half
2 egg yolks and one whole egg, beaten
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
A pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 375º F and blind bake the pie crust for 7 minutes. (Line the unbaked crust with foil and some dried beans to gently weigh down). Remove from oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350º F.
2. Using a food processor, mix the cream cheese until smooth, then add the sweetened condensed milk process again until smooth.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
4. Pour the filling just up to the rim into the partially baked pie crust* and bake for 40-45 minutes. The edges should puff up a little and the center slightly firm.
5. Place the pie on a cooling rack or folded towel and cool to room temperature.
* If you have reserve filling- make a baked custard by pouring into a greased ramekin and bake until set.
Note: A mixer may be used.