Banana Cinnamon Loaf is a perfect way to use over ripened bananas. Here we add melted butter just at the very end of folding the batter to impart good flavor and texture. The techniques of macerating the bananas with sugar and vanilla, and sprinkling cinnamon sugar in the of the cake peaks flavor. Do not overmix- a gentle hand proves the best results.
2 large ripened bananas
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs (room temperature)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons Cinnamon Sugar ( combine 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon)
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º F.
1. Mash bananas, sugar and vanilla until combined, beat in eggs one at a time, (mixture will be lumpy) and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt, set aside.
3. Add oil, sour cream salt and nutmeg to the banana mixture. Now fold in your flour mixture until almost blended and then add remaining ingredients and continue to fold until blended.
4. Pour half of the batter into a well greased loaf pan, sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar and top with remaining batter.
5. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
Variation: Banana Cinnamon Loaf with Streusel topping*
Proceed with same recipe, except at Step 4- pour 1/2 the batter into an 8”x8” greased baking pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, cover with remaining batter and sprinkle with the following Streusel topping recipe. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients until crumbly.