Had leftover BBQ London Broil and thought hmmm could this possibly be turned into a BBQ Steak Stew? Yes- It worked! The grilled meat becomes tender and works well with some African inspired flavorings.
1 lb. leftover BBQ steak.
2 white potatoes, diced small
2 sweet potatoes, diced small
3 mini sweet peppers, sliced thin
3 stalks of celery with leaves diced small
1 onion diced
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
3 1/2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon dark molasses
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Place the first 18 ingredients (or all ingredients except the flour) in a large sauce pot and bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Sprinkle the flour on the surface of boiling stew, do not stir for 2 minutes.
3. Stir the stew and cover, cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the cover and continue to cook for one hour more on a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
5. Steak should start to fall apart, add cilantro, taste and adjust seasonings.
Variation: add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter and/or 1/2 cup coconut milk to this BBQ Steak Stew , if desired.