These Buttery Sweet Dinner Rolls hold true to their name. Hot, steamy soft and billowy - a perfect accompaniment to many dinners.
1 1/4 cups warm water (use 1/4 cup to proof the yeast)
2 teaspoons yeast
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons dry milk
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pinch of grated nutmeg
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons softened butter (for brushing the rolls)
Preheat oven to 375º F.
1. Proof the yeast- by mixing the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl ( rest for a few minutes- it should start to become a bit bubbly and fragrant- this is proof your yeast is viable)
2. In the meantime in a large mixing bowl mix together the remaining 1 cup of water, honey, sugar, eggs, sour cream, butter, dried milk, vegetable oil and nutmeg. Add the proofed yeast and mix again.
3. Add the flour one cup at a time until the mixture forms a loose ball , add the salt and knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. This dough will be a bit sticky.
4. Place in a greased bowl and flip to lightly grease the surface cover and rest until doubled in size, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
5. Flour your hands and gently punch down the dough, place on a floured surface and break in approximately 24 even pieces, forming each into a roll shape (keeping your hands floured) or gently roll into a rectangle approximately 2" high and cut into even pieces.
6. Place on a parchment lined baking pan and cover and let rest for another 40 minutes (about doubled in size)
7. Bake for 15-17 minutes, remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
Serve Buttery Sweet Dinner Rolls hot.