Candied Citrus Peels- Tiny strips of dynamite flavors. These can be added to muffins, cookies, cakes, fresh fruits, main entrees, mixed drinks and of course just eaten as candy*, even dipped in chocolate. All made with three ingredients, fun and easy, but remember to reserve at least 6 hours for drying time.
4 Navel oranges, or 4 grapefruits, or 8 lemons or 8 limes
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1. Cut the Citrus fruit in quarters and remove the peel leaving pith (white part)intact. Keep rest of citrus fruit for another use.
2. Place the peel in a saucepan and add
enough cold water just to cover, bring to a boil and continue to boil for 4 minutes. Drain the water.
3. Repeat the process in step 2.
4. When the drained peels are cool enough to handle, gently scoop out the pith (white part) from the back of the orange peel with a spoon or scaling knife. Julienne or cut the peel into strips approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
5. Place sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring to a boil. Add the peel and reduce heat to a very low simmer. Continue to cook for approximately 40 minutes, stir occasionally being careful not to burn.
6. Remove peels with a slotted spoon and place on a draining rack or cookie rack, keeping each piece separate. Reserve any leftover syrup for another use.
7. Allow the citrus peels to air dry for at least 6-8 hours. Place in an airtight container.
Variation *Candied Citrus Peels* : in step 6-roll peels in granulated sugar before allowing to air dry.