These cookies are reminiscent of a rugelach filling and the best part is they have fewer calories because they are made with very little butter and just a bit of flour. They age well and linger in taste. Because they are so tasty, chewy and easy- they are a great holiday cookie. I wrap them in cellophane bags with colored ribbons and give them as gifts.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat oven to 300ºF
1. Sift together dry ingredients-set aside.
2. Beat butter, honey and eggs and vanilla and then add dates and nuts.
3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until blended.
4. Bake in a greased 8”x8” pan and bake for 40 minutes.
5. Cool and cut into 2” squares and roll in powdered sugar.