A spicy dish of browned italian sausage and chicken, seasoned potatoes, hot cherry peppers and a balsamic vinegar reduction. While many recipes use the stove and the oven, we use an easier two pan oven version. For deeper caramelization, optimal flavors and timing purposes of meat vs. potatoes, we like the two pan method. Serve with warm crusty Italian bread and a salad, your meal is complete. My son Chris always asks for this dish on his birthday.
Pan one (Meat)
1 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs ( with bones)
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts (with bones)
1 1/2 lbs. sweet and/or hot sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar (good quality)
1/2 cup jarred hot cherry pepper slices, ( for a mild version -omit and add sweet jarred peppers and juices)
2 tablespoons of the hot cherry pepper juice (vinegar from jar)
Pan two (Potatoes and Onions)
3- 4 large potatoes, diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 onion , diced
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or thyme leaves
Preheat oven to 350º F
1. Place chicken and sausage in a large baking pan, allowing space between meats (for browning). Sprinkle with oil, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. Bake for 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime toss the potatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, chicken broth and herbs in a large shallow baking pan, set aside.
3. Remove meat pan from the oven, increase oven temperature to 375º F. Cut the sausage into 2 inch pieces, add the vinegar, cherry peppers and
4. Bake both meat and potato pans for 30 minutes.
5. Remove both pans from oven:
.Pan one-turn the chicken and sausage.
.Pan two- add onions and paprika to potatoes, mix well.
6. Return to the oven for an additional 15 - 20 minutes.
Check for doneness and taste.
Place hot potatoes on a large serving platter and top with chicken and sausage.