These crunchy cinnamon toast logs filled with sweetened velvety cream cheese are sure to be a hit for party appetizers or desserts. When my cousin Chris from Texas comes to visit he always asks for them.
14 slices of dense white bread (ie: Arnold White Bread) crusts removed
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons melted butter
cinnamon sugar (a mix of 1/4 cup white sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
Preheat oven to 350ºF
1. With a rolling pin-flatten each slice of bread, set aside.
2. Whip cream cheese until it is fluffy and smooth, then add egg yolk, sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Spread cheese filling evenly onto bread slices and roll to form a log.
4. Dip each log lightly in the melted butter and then coat with cinnamon sugar.
5. Cut each log into 3 even rolls and place on slightly greased baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.