After having a delicious pasta dish with corn and poblanos, we came up with this wonderful soup. The sweetness of the corn offset by the hot poblano is exciting. The heat of poblanos can differ, taste it before adding to the soup, adjusting to desired taste.
2 tablespoons butter
5 ears fresh corn, kernels removed ( or 2 packages of frozen corn)
1 small onion, diced small
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
1 large roasted poblano, chopped, seeds and skin removed (see how to roast peppers technique)
1 tablespoon minced cilantro
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1. In a large saucepan melt the butter and add the onions, garlic and corn saute for approximately 10 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour.
2. Add the chicken broth and reduce by approximately 1/3.
3. Now add the heavy cream and reduce by 1/3.
4. With a hand blender or blender process about 1/2 of the soup until smooth. Return to pot and simmer for 10 more minutes until creamy.
5. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with minced cilantro and shredded cheddar.