One taste of this and you may not want Split Pea soup any other way. Caramelized onions, beer, curry and heavy cream lend to multi layers of delicious flavors from beginning to end.
4 tablespoons butter
1 ham bone
2 sweet onions, diced small
1 leek, washed and sliced (white and light green part only)
9 ounces beer
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
6 cups chicken broth
1 pound bag dried split peas, rinsed
2 1/2 tablespoons curry
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
A dash of black pepper
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Sour cream- optional
fresh minced cilantro- optional
1. Heat the butter in a large sauce pan. Add the onions and leeks, sauté until golden brown.
2. Add the beer and reduce by 3/4. Add the honey and cook for 4 minutes or until syrupy in texture.
3. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and pulverize until smooth.
4. Add remaining chicken broth, split peas, curry. cayenne and black pepper.
5. Gently boil until peas are tender. Remove the ham bone. Gradually add the heavy cream, stirring constantly. Simmer for 8 minutes or more depending on desired consistency.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a dusting of curry powder and/or fresh minced cilantro.