Fudgie Buttons are a petite dense bites of intense chocolate. The trick to keeping them soft is not to over bake them. Add the extra chocolate bits for all the chocolate lovers in your life, including you.
Yield: Approximately 5 dozen
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (separated 2 yolks, 2 whites)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate (8 ounces)
6 tablespoons butter (softened)
2 level tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup small chocolate bits (optional)
confectioners sugar for rolling
Preheat oven to 365ºF
1. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
2. Heat the chocolate and butter together just until melted and smooth, set aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until creamy, approximately 4 minutes.
4. Add the melted chocolate mixture, vanilla extract and cocoa powder and beat until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
4. Beat in the egg whites until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
5. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture, just until incorporated, add the chocolate bits if desired.
6. Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
7. Using 1 teaspoon each, shape the dough into small balls. Roll in confectioners sugar. Bake on greased or parchment lined cookie sheets for 7-9 minutes (depending on size). Cookies should have a cracked surface and be a bit wobbly in the center, they will firm up when cool.