- 8 ounces goat cheese
- black or red ground pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons red pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Whip the goat cheese and pepper until creamy. Wet your hands and press into a heart shape onto a serving platter. Wipe off any excess around the heart. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Fry bacon in a skillet until crispy, remove, crumble and set aside. Discard excess fat from the pan, leaving any browned bits.
- Using the same pan add the onion, red pepper, wine, vinegar, molasses, maple syrup and brown sugar to a saucepan on a medium heat and boil until syrupy in texture. Add the bacon bits and salt continue to cook until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- Assembly- Remove the goat cheese heart from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Carefully place the bacon chutney around the goat cheese heart- using a small spoon or butter knife. Top with freshly ground pepper if desired.
Garnish with a cut- out heart from a beet or fruit leather.
Serve at room temperature with crackers.
Variation- add some chopped dates (in step two) along with the bacon bits.
For a guide, use our >> Heart Template