This is hands down the best pecan brittle we have ever had. Mouth watering, buttery and chock full of large pecans with a perfect bite! Every Christmas season my friend Julie spends hours in the kitchen making goodie packages for her family and friends, truly a labor of love. She was kind enough to share the recipe. Use the freshest and largest pecans you can find.
3 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
½ cup of water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups of large pecans
Sea Salt (optional)
1. Generously butter two cookie sheets, set aside.
2. Add sugar, corn syrup, and water to a heavy saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. (Do not stir)
2. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches 280 degrees using a candy thermometer.
3. Stir in the pecans slowly so it will not stop boiling. Continue to boil, stirring until it reaches 300 degrees. Watch carefully-do not over cook.
4. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, carefully and steadily. Stir until combined and quickly pour onto the buttered cookie sheets. Tilt the cookie sheet from side to side to spread the mixture, do not press down on it. Sprinkle with a touch of sea salt if desired. When cool, break into irregular pieces.
Store in an air tight container.
Variation: Spice it up and add 1/2 teaspoon or more ground cayenne pepper (in step 4 with the baking soda)