The fairest of white cakes- Lady Baltimore. This is our own version- Simple ingredients transformed into a delicate, elegant and delicious cake. Mis en place (set up- everything in place) is important here. Follow each step carefully and watch the recipe come together nicely. Techniques may seem a bit different -try it-you will be pleased. Frost it with our Smooth White Frosting or Seven Minute Frosting and serve it proud!
Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self rising)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 13 individual tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup heavy cream whipped
- Prepare two 9" cake pans- grease well and line the bottoms with parchment paper-grease the top of parchment paper too.
- Sift together the first 5 (dry) ingredients, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the milk just until very warm, remove from heat, add the tablespoons of butter and the vanilla extract, set aside.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form, set aside.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, set aside.
- Beat the milk mixture ( should be slightly warm or room temperature) with the dry ingredients for about 2 minutes.
- Briefly fold in the whipped cream.
- Gently fold in the whipped egg whites, until the batter is uniform.
- Pour batter into two 9” cake pans- greased well and bottoms lined with parchment papercake pans Bake at 350º for 27-30 minutes. Check for doneness.Do not over bake or cake will be dry.
- Cool for 10 minutes and carefully invert onto a baking rack- cool completely. Spread filling ** or frosting between the cake layers and frost with our Smooth White Frosting or 7 Minute Frosting.
For a true Lady Baltimore Cake: Add chopped nuts, chopped figs, raisins and/or chopped dried fruits to 1/2 cup of frosting and use as a filling.