Craving Lemon? This recipe uses lemon in the batter, glaze and icing. Honestly, It took us a while to get just the lemon cake we had in mind- "One layer, lighter than a pound cake, moist with multiple lemon flavors." Add a little sunshine to your day and enjoy.
Preheat the oven to 325ºF
Generously grease an 8 inch Springform pan and line the bottom with greased parchment paper.
- 8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons softened butter
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of two lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6-8 tablespoons simple lemon syrup
- Remaining simple lemon syrup (read recipe)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare the simple lemon syrup: Combine the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring once or twice- just until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the cake batter- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the confectioners sugar, sugar, butter, oil, lemon extract, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Add the sour cream and milk, mix well.
- Sift the dry ingredients (Cake flour, baking powder and salt) and add to the batter- using a low speed, mixing only until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared 8 inch springform pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. Watch carefully and test for doneness.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes and gently poke several holes with a toothpick or cake tester.
- Drizzle 4 tablespoons of lemon syrup onto the cake and spread evenly.
- Once cake is cooled remove from pan and place on a serving platter.
- Prepare the icing: Beat the remaining lemon syrup with butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Ice the cake
Make ahead- this cake tastes even better the next day.
Use only fresh lemons
Watch the baking time carefully- if over baked the cake can be dry.
Skip the Icing and serve with whipped cream combined with remaining lemon simple syrup.