Warning read this recipe carefully because technique is crucial for creamy smooth results. Too often we have had watery or “bite back” pieces of mushrooms in soups, this recipe solves all of that. Reserved mushroom liquid helps to concentrate flavors.
5 tablespoons butter, (using 3 tablespoons to start,then 2 remaining)
2 pounds fresh mushrooms coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sweet onion
1 clove garlic
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sherry
Salt and pepper
1. In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoons of butter and add mushrooms. Once the mushroom juices are released , strain and reserve the liquid.
2. Return the mushrooms back to the hot skillet with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and saute for about 7 minutes or until soft.
3. Now add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken broth and reduce for about 10 minutes. Now add heavy cream bringing to a boil then simmer for about 12 more minutes.
4. Add the reserved mushroom liquid and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Process the soup in batches until smooth. Return to skillet and add sherry, simmer for 5 more minutes.
Taste the soup and adjust seasoning.