Another timeless classic. Use good quality peanut butter for best results and good "peanutty" flavor. We experimented for quite a while and stopped when we came up with this recipe., it has been in our family for years.
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter softened
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 teaspoons molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
extra sugar for rolling
1. In a large bowl, cream the brown sugar, sugar, butter, peanut butter, molasses and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs and mix well.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into the batter. Mix until combined.
4. Chill for at least one hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350ºF
6. Shape dough into walnut sized balls. Roll in sugar if desired. Press with a fork to make an indentation. The criss cross pattern is a favorite.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Cool and store in an air-tight container.