This liqueur is a fine ending to any meal. This almost mimics our limoncello recipe. It is easy to make but requires at least 28 days of patience. Cool, refreshing and citrusy.
5 oranges, rinsed and dried
1 lemon, rinsed and dried
1 (750 liter) vodka
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1. Clean a large Mason jar (1.5 liter or larger) with hot water and soap, Rinse well with very hot water or run through a dishwasher.
2. Peel the just the skins of the oranges and lemons. If you see any white pith on the undersides- remove with a sharp knife.
3. Place citrus skins in the mason jar and pour in the vodka. Store in a dark bag or cover with a towel away from light for 14 days. Shake the container once a day.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the water and sugar to a low boil, sitrring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely.
5. Strain the macerated citrus skins from the vodka, using a cheesecloth. If there is still unwanted bits, strain again through a clean coffee filter.
5. Return the strained vodka to the jar and stir in the simple syrup (sugar mixture). Store at room temperature for 14 days.
6. If desired store the rested Orangecello into small clean bottles, filling to the top and seal well.
It is delicious served very cold and may be stored in the freezer.