2 cups warm water, divided (1/2 cup for proofing yeast)
2 tablespoons dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
Oil for coating bowl (olive or vegetable)
Preheat a cast iron skillet or oven to 425º F
1. Proof the yeast- in a small bowl mix the yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water and let rest for five minutes. It is viable if you start to see it foam or bubble a little and is somewhat fragrant.
2. Add proofed yeast to a mixing bowl with remaining water and sugar, add flour one cup at a time and mix well after each addition until it forms into a stiff dough. Continue to knead for approximately 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. I use my bread machine for kneading.
3. Place in a greased bowl and cover, let rest in a warm spot until doubled in size, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
4. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into 8 even pieces. (16 pieces in total) Roll each piece into 6 " pita shapes, cover with a towel for 20 minutes.
5. Bake in oven on a large cookie sheet (two at a time) or place on a hot cast iron skillet ( over medium high heat) for approximately two minutes, flip the pita and cook until heated through for an additional 1-2 minutes.