We love using these crispy, long, irregular shaped homemade breadsticks as centerpieces for a table. They are whimsically sophisticated and inviting. A perfect addition for any table.
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vodka or wine
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey or sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary
Extra olive oil and sea salt for brushing
Preheat oven to 400º
1. Place all ingredients in a bread machine and process using a dough setting.
Or mix by hand- Mix the water and yeast together, let rest for a few minutes. Check the viability of the yeast, it should be fragrant and somewhat foamy. Mix in the, wine or vodka, olive oil and honey or sugar. Add the remaining ingredients and form a soft dough.
Knead for approximately 8 minutes- until smooth. The dough should be soft.
2. Let rise until doubled, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
3. Working on a well floured surface, punch the dough down gently and coat the soft dough with enough flour to make it easy to handle. Roll into a rectangle approximately 1/2 " thick. Cut the rectangle in half and cut into 1" strips .
4. Brush the strips with olive oil, twist if desired, and place onto parchment lined baking pan. Sprinkle with salt. Let rest for 20 minutes.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes- until lightly golden. Turn the heat off, keep in oven to cool- for crispiness.