Taking approximately 7 minutes, egg whites and hot syrup are whipped into a marshmallowy, billowy, cloud like frosting. It is very white and perfect for any white or chocolate cake. Use this frosting the same day it is made.
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, water and cream of tartar, pour into a pan and heat until it just reaches 245ºF with a candy thermometer.
- In the meantime whip the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites beating constantly, until glossy.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
For best results use immediately.