It is so hard to keep the spoon away from this smooth, cool and creamy white frosting. A cross between a fluffy egg white frosting and a vanilla buttercream. It contains a bit less fat than italian or swiss buttercream and seems to be just the right blend of simple ingredients. It may seem a bit loose at first but transforms into a perfect consistency when cooled.
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- In a very clean medium sized sauce pan combine the egg whites, sugar and salt. Place over a very low heat and beat with an electric mixer until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture reaches 160ºF (to kill if and any salmonella) or very warm.
- Remove from the heat and continue to whip with a beater until soft peaks form. set aside.
- Beat the butter, confectioners sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Combine the egg whites and butter mixture, beat until creamy and smooth.