Ricotta and cake flour are the ingredients that give these cookies a velvety texture and the anise stands alone in distinct flavoring. They taste better the next day. These tender and comforting little bites and are plain wonderful with tea or coffee.
1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons anise extract
3/4 cup ricotta
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Glaze ingredients :
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon anise extract
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon softened butter
Pinch of salt
Colored sprinkles (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º F
1. Cream butter, sugar and anise extract until fluffy,
2. Mix in then ricotta and egg.
3. Gradually add dry ingredients until blended. Chill for 30 minutes. In the meantime make the anise glaze- see recipe below.
4. Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into balls.
5. Bake for 11 minutes at 350º and transfer to a rack and cool.
6. Dip in glaze and add sprinkles if desired.
Glaze recipe :
1. Beat butter, salt and anise until creamy.
2. Add the confectioner’s sugar and milk and beat until smooth.