This is a combination of my favorite panna cotta recipes. It is ethereal and unlike any other dessert. It pairs well with a maple balsamic reduction and seedless champagne grapes.
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder (not full packet)
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup half and half
1/ cup sugar
1 vanilla bean pod split and scraped
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1. The gelatin must be bloomed properly for smoothness. Sprinkle gelatin onto cold water in a measuring cup and let bloom for 5 minutes.
2. In the meantime bring the half and half, sugar, vanilla scrapings and pod to a boil. Remove from heat and remove vanilla pods.
3. Stirring constantly add 4 tablespoons of hot milk mixture to the gelatin. Then stir the tempered gelatin into the remaining hot milk mixture. Set aside until slightly cooled.
4. In a slow and steady stream constantly stir in the buttermilk . Strain and pour into serving dishes, refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
5. Serve with a drizzle of Maple Balsamic Glaze (see recipe) ,champagne grapes and a sprig of mint.