Oh this is fun to make and may be served for any celebration. It is somewhat time consuming, but worth your efforts. Creamy cheesy mushrooms are stuffed in a fluffy egg soufflè roll. Get ready for some oohs and ahhs. The filling choices are plentiful.
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
5 eggs- (separated into 5 egg whites and 5 egg yolks, being careful to get no yolk in the whites)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 shallot, minced
24 ounces mushrooms (sliced thin)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 8 ounce package cream cheese (softened)
salt and pepper
1/2 lb, shredded swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 350º F
1. Prepare a jelly-roll pan (10”x15”), grease and line with parchment paper leaving a slight overlap on both ends. Now grease the top of the parchment paper.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan and add flour stirring well for about 2 minutes. Gradually add in the half and half and stir continually until sauce is thickened. Add salt, cayenne and parmesan.
2. Remove from heat and quickly beat in egg yolks one at a time. Beat the egg whites until stiff (for reference see whipping egg whites) and fold into the egg yolk mixture. Pour onto prepared pan, spread evenly and bake at 350º F for 30-35 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and invert onto a clean dampened towel, remove pan (not parchment) and roll soufflè in towel and rest for 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime prepare the mushrooms. Over medium high heat melt butter in a sautè pan, add shallots and mushrooms and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Lower to a medium heat and add the heavy cream and cream cheese- mix until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
5. Unroll the towel and carefully remove the parchment top. Spread 2/3 of the creamed mushrooms and swiss cheese onto rouladen. Roll and return to oven and bake just enough to heat through (about 5 minutes). Top with remaining 1/3 of creamed mushrooms.
Serve with chopped chives.