One pound trimmed filet mignon (1/4 inch slices)
Ground black pepper
8 ounces mushrooms sliced thin
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic (squeezed through garlic press)
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup cognac
1/2 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
Few fresh chives snipped
1. Pound filet mignon slices and season lightly with salt and pepper, set aside.
2. Using a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and saute mushrooms over a medium high heat until golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
3. Add remaining tablespoons of butter and garlic, brown meat quickly on both sides on a semi-high heat, do not over cook, meat should be pink in center. Transfer to the plate with the mushrooms and recover with foil.
4. Add the beef broth and wine to the hot skillet and reduce by half.
5. Add the worcestershire and mustard, cook for an additional 2 minutes.
6. Add cognac, (ignite if desired) reduce for a 2 more minutes.
7. Add heavy cream in a slow steady stream stirring constantly cook for about 2 minutes more and return mushrooms and beef to skillet.
8. Top with snipped parsley and chives, serve immediately.