Succotash makes a nice presentation on Thanksgiving and seems oh so traditional. It is the one vegetable dish that reminds us of the First Thanksgiving. Corn and Fordhook lima beans make a tasty combination. Our recipe is very different, we use a touch of cream cheese and a few smashed lima beans for creaminess. Make it extra special and top with crispy fried bacon.
Corn kernels from 4 ears of fresh corn
9 ounces frozen Fordhook lima beans
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup cream or half and half
2 teaspoons fresh minced onion
a small sprig of fresh thyme (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons softened cream cheese
Bacon crumbles for topping
1. Cook the corn and lima beans according to package directions, drain well. Set aside.
2. Heat the Butter in a skillet, add onions and sauté until translucent.
3. Add the corn and beans, cream or half and half, thyme, pepper and salt. Simmer on a low heat until it just reaches a boil. Reduce heat to low.
4. Mix the cream cheese with three tablespoons of the hot succotash - add back to the pan, smash a few lima beans in the pot and simmer for a minute or two.
4. Transfer to a serving dish and top with crumbled bacon.
Variation: Substitute kernels from 4 ears of fresh corn instead of frozen and add to skillet with onions in step 2 .