Technique is what makes our sugar cookies a bit lighter and tastier. I came up with this recipe years and years ago and it is still my favorite. Sifting the flour, adding baking soda to a touch of soured milk and added lemon zest make the difference.
Yield: approximately 70 cookies
2 1/2 cups sited flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
2 eggs beaten
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
pinch grated nutmeg (optional)
extra sugar or sprinkles for rolling (optional)
1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
2. Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest, nutmeg and mix well.
3. Mix the vinegar and milk together and add the baking soda- pour onto butter mixture.
4. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture until combined.
5. Chill for approximately 2 hours
6. Preheat the oven to 350º F .