I asked my son Michael what he wanted for his Birthday dessert, "Tiramisu" he said without hesitation. I made this on a whim, caring about textures and taste with each step. The next morning there was none left. Not being a coffee fan, I made some of it soaked in Limoncello with fresh blueberries in a decorative compote, nice!!!
6 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar divided (1 cup for egg yolks and 1/4 cup for egg whites)
1 tablespoon Marsala wine
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 ounces of Mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup espresso
1/4 cup Kahlua
24 lady fingers
1. Over a double boiler with an electric hand mixer-beat egg yolks and 1 cup of sugar untiled doubled in volume, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from heat and continue to beat for 6 minutes more.
Add the Marsala wine, beat until combined. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with salt until soft peaks form, beat the sugar in gradually and continue to beat for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla, beat until combined. Set aside
3. On a low speed mix the Mascarpone cheese until smooth, gradually add the egg yolk mixture and finally fold in the egg white mixture.
4. Mix the coffee and Kahlua together. Quickly dip the lady fingers into the Kahlua mixture. Line an 8x8 serving dish with half of the lady fingers.
5. Spoon half of the Mascarpone Mixture onto the lady fingers, top with another layer of lady fingers and sprinkle with cocoa.
Or use individual serving dishes as shown.