This is my go to pizza dough recipe. It is versatile, reliable and always tastes good. I have found that honey seems to work better than sugar. For a crispier crust use bread flour and/or roll it extra thin and pre-bake. I notice especially good results in flavor and texture when the dough rests in the refrigerator overnight.
3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 heaping teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon oil (olive or vegetable)
2 teaspoons salt
Preheat oven to 425º F
1. Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water and leave for 5 minutes, it should become frothy.
2. Add the rest of the warm water, honey and oil to yeast mixture and mix with flour. If the mixture is very sticky gradually add more flour until you can just form a ball.
3. Knead for about 10 minutes on a floured surface until dough is smooth. Place in a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a slightly damp towel and let rise until doubled. (appx. 1 hour)
4. Punch dough down and knead lightly. Divide in two and place each into large oiled zip top plastic bags and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
5. Bring the dough to room temperature. Roll or press dough into a 12” circle or rectangle. Pinch edges to form a rim.
6. Heat your pans then sprinkle with cornmeal. I pre-bake my pizza dough because I prefer a crispier crust. To pre-bake brush your crust lightly with olive oil and bake at 425º F for 4-5 minutes.