The technique of frying bouillon paste in butter and then adding cooked rice really accentuates flavor. Not your usual rice, this is smoky, tart and wild.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced small
1 1/2 cups Wild Rice
6 cups water
1 sprig of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon better than bouillon (chicken or vegetable)
1/2 cup smoked almonds, chopped
1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and caramelize or cook until golden brown.
2. Add the water to the saucepan and bring to a boil, add rice and bring back to a boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
Discard the thyme sprig and bay leaf, drain and set aside.
4. Heat butter and bouillon paste in a large frying pan mixing until smooth, add cooked rice and almonds, mix gently with spatula to coat the rice. Fry for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat and add the cherries and parsley.